Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Big One-Oh

Well,Cool Dad really did it this time. He posted out of order. How could he not know that I like things orderly? The Anniversary post must come before random stories that happened yesterday. So in order to get us back on track I am just going to post pics and random thoughts about our trip. It was taking way too much time for me to try and come up with witty comments. So, here goes the Anniversary post.


First of all, Bubba made us this cool card. How could we not be excited for our Anniversary?

Cool Dad and I recently celebrated our Anniversary. It was our 10th, so the planning fell to Cool Dad. He plotted and planned for months before deciding on the perfect destination. For awhile he would just tell me that it would be somewhere out of the country. Since Cool Dad knows I love a warm beach I started having visions of tropical destinations.
Then, he finally announced the perfect romantic getaway to… Canada?? Isn’t it COLD in Canada??
That’s right folks; I had to get out my winter sweaters to go on vacation. I admit I did torment Cool Dad about the weather the whole time we were there, but it was really nice, and 70 degrees isn’t bad with a jacket.


Victoria, BC is beautiful, the flowers were blooming, and everything was so green. We really enjoyed touring the island. Usually we stay on the outskirts of places we visit for the best hotel rate, but for the big trip we stayed right in downtown at the harbor(Cool Dad even sprung for the Romance package so when we got to our room there were flowers, sparkling grape juice (which the hotel staff had to drive all over Canada looking for), and a big chocolate heart..he really does know me). It was so fun to be close to everything. We could wander around in the evenings, and we hit a few of the English Pubs for dinner, Mmm fish and chips.


Sorry, this picture is strictly for Cool Dad. he wanted proof that will go in the blog book that he is one heck of a romantic guy.


I love taking pictures of lighthouses. Living in the desert I don’t get much of a chance, so if there is a lighthouse within a hundred miles Cool Dad makes sure I get there. This trip we actually saw four. One we did not get very close to, since it was on the Washington side, but we went past it on our Whale Watching tour. I am going to put in a plug for Eagle Wing Whale Watching Tours. They are a smaller company, but the tour was top notch, the captains were cute, and their boats are awesome. We were able to see a ton of whales, and Cool Dad burned his forehead, not to mention we got to wear these lovely outfits.



Since they have guaranteed a whale sighting I kind of expected that if we didn't see actual whales, they would have us take a look around the boat at each other. No fear, we did see whales. I took about fifty pictures of fins going underwater. Wildlife photographer, I am not. This one isn't too bad.



I also loved the Parliament House, it is a beautiful building. This picture also shows one of many totem poles. It was fascinating to see the mix of the English and First Nations cultures. I could practically make a calendar with all of my totem, pole pictures to go with my lighthouse calendar.


Although we loved being right in Victoria we wouldn't be us without a little exploring. We put over 450 miles on our rental car visiting other towns. We loved the museum in Nanaimo. Ask Cool Dad how he liked his famous Nanaimo bar? Can you say coconut? He about spit it out on the table, but had the manners to politely work his way through it since we were eating at a retiree hot spot. We also ate at A&W in Sooke where they still have the "family of burgers". Cool Dad and I enjoyed Teen Burgers (I know that is going to give away our ages).

At the end of the week we were ready to come home and see our kiddies, but the trip was a huge success. It was great to see a new place, and spend time alone with Cool Dad. Thanks for planning it honey. Happy Anniversary!

P.S. Did I mention the chocolate? I might need a whole other post just to talk about it. Don't tell Cool Dad, but I paid $4.99 for a candy bar, and I ate it all by myself. It is the kind the Queen eats when she goes to Canada. YUMMY!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! It looks like a great trip, even if it wasn't on a tropical island somewhere :). Way to go Tom. Some day I would like to do a whale watching excursion. You got an awesome shot of a whale and I love the lighthouse pics!

    ReplyDelete