Monday, November 21, 2011

FOOTBALL

I have been dreading this post since August. I decided that instead of complaining my way through the whole football season I would just save it all, and wrap it up in one post instead of 90 posts of, “guess what, we have football AGAIN today”.

Bubba loves football. It all started last year when he went to school. A group of boys would get together and recess and play tackle football. I know it is crazy, on the big kid playground the kids couldn’t play tag, because someone might get hurt, but on the Kindergarten playground they were allowed to play tackle football.

Cool Dad also made him participate in a sort of “rite of passage” that all boys from Cool Dad’s side of the family must go through. Your father sits you down and makes you decide who your NFL football team will be. Apparently this will be your team forever, there are no do overs, no take backs, and if you have the misfortune to choose the Miami Dolphins like Cool Dad then you have to like them even when they can’t win a game. Bubba is a proud San Diego Chargers fan.

See how painful this is, and we aren’t even to the part about how football CONSUMED my life for three months.

Bubba talks non-stop about wanting to play football. When I mentioned that I might sign him up for a flag football team he told me he wanted to play football more than he wanted to breathe.

So I plopped down my hugely enormous fee, and we were all signed up…In an INTERNATIONAL football league…What????

There were a few eye openers at the parents meeting. First, practice for the first few weeks will be Monday-Friday from 6-8pm. This is where the first signs of what have I done started to set in. Next, it turns out that there aren’t that many teams in our area so we would be traveling to games. Traveling for six year old football games, are they crazy??? No, apparently I am. Everyone else there seemed to think this was perfectly normal. Finally they hit us with this zinger. The coach asks if anyone has a problem going to Mexico for a game. Excuse me, as in leave the country for a six year old football game. Passports, we need passports to be signed up for this sport?

That is what began my life from August until November.
Bubba loved EVERYTHING about it. He loved games, he even loved practices. I have to admit there were a few days where he was refusing to do homework, and I told him if he didn’t get it done he wouldn’t be able to go to practice. I know a lot of kids who would have said. “Who cares, as long as I can play in the game”. Not Bubba he loved practice too.

Game days were interesting, we only won one game in the regular season, but it was a sweet victory. On the day of the tournament we won one, tied one, and lost two. Bubba didn’t care. He has his trophy, and I think that may be the main reason he did it.

The worst part of the whole experience for me, realizing this is just the start of what will likely be many Saturdays watching football.
Good bye Saturday. It was nice knowing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment