Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bubba Goes to College

I have been meaning to post this blog all week. Last Monday night Bubba went to school with me. Some of you parents out there may be familiar with the divide and conquer method of parenting. When both parents have someplace they need to be and there is not a babysitter available you assign the children to the activities where they will do the least amount of damage.

Cool Dad had to attend a public meeting for work, and I had to go to school. Normally I would not have taken Bubba with me, but the instructor in my archaeology class is making sure we have some "hands on" experiences, and that night night we were scheduled to perform a survey that she had set up in an empty field on campus. I knew we would also have some in class time too, so I packed a little chair for him, and some reading and math books to work on, and off we went to school.

First things first. Apparently at some point I told him my school was orange. He was quick to point out that I lied. Next, we arrived in the classroom where he promtly made himself at home and read Green Eggs and Ham out loud to everyone as they filed into the classroom.

At last, it was time to go outside. He was so excited, he could hardly wait for "recess" to start. We all lined up to start our survey, and the teacher even gave him some flags so he could mark any artifacts he found. He was actually quite good at it and was so proud he found some things that other students just walked by. Luckily he was there to point out to all of them that he was a better surveyor than them. Once "recess" ended we had a small break and I splurged and bought him a drink and candy at the vending machine. He LOVED that.

Finally we headed back to class where the instructor lectured on survey techniques. He sat there so quietly and listened to her entire lecture. At the end everyone asked him if he planned on being an archaeologist? "Yes, no, yes," he said. "Well, actually I am going to be a jockey, but then when I am too old, like eighteen, then I will be an archaeologist." Well, at least he has a fall back plan.

One the way home from class he talked non-stop about how great college is, and how he can't wait to go to college, and how easy it is. He just hopes he gets more than one recess at his collge.

Last night at class we recorded at site. Everyone asked why I didn't bring Bubba with me. They thought he would have loved recording a site.

Maybe Cool Dad will have one child follow him in his career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment