Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Popeye Guy

I toodle along, minding my own business, rocking out to the Hannah Montana that inevitably finds its way in to the CD player of my 1997 Honda CRV affectionately known as "Arkie" when a peculiar sight passes in front of me.

I say peculiar because I know of no other appropriate adjective. Odd? Horrific? Predictable? Disconcerting? Maybe...but peculiar sums it up.

Let me digress for a moment. I am a forty-something behemoth who listens to Hannah Montana in a Honda CRV. I am in no position to make rash judgments or point out the flaws of others, but I feel a certain civic duty to let the people of the world know what is out there...what threatens the hallmarks of sanity and civility in our good land. With this disclaimer, I continue.

He passes. I take a look-see. I blink. I evaluate things. I blink again and reevaluate. I take it all in and find that I have quit breathing. I remind myself to breathe and then I aspirate a wry, little chuckle. I look around to make sure I am not the only person to have seen what I just saw. Nobody else seems particularly aghast. I check my rear view mirror. Nope, he was real enough.

I do a quick recounting in my head. Big Harley-Davidson Hog--CHECK. 35-45 years old--CHECK. 350 lbs.--CHECK. Popeye meets Darkwing Duck sailor outfit--CHECK. Dark black zip-up hoodie with skeleton-like ribs silk-screened on to the front--CHECK. Creepy handlebar moustache--CHECK. Cuban cigar the size of a huge pork sausage hanging out of mouth--CHECK.

That is all. Just thought you all should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment