Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Shout Out to Grandparents

Earlier this fall we were lucky enough to have both sets of Grandparents come visit us. Last time they came we rushed off to San Diego and Julian to show them how cool "our town" was. This time we decided to stay a bit closer to home.

Grandma and Grandpa H were lucky enough to get to watch Bubba play football, and Pie at her gymnastics class. We girls got to do a little shopping, and the boys watched some football. It was a great relaxing weekend. My little kids were great with my dad. Tt is hard to see what Alzheimers is doing to him. He doesn't know our names anymore, but he knows we look familiar, and that he loves us. He tossed the ball around with Bubba, and he would sit and watch him and say, "that little one, he is a firecracker". My kids were so good with him. When he would get antsy they would take his hand and go for a little walk down the street. I especially like it when I would sit on the couch with him and he would launch into a song. He can still sing a mean version of The Old Grey Mare, Rise and Shout, and Off We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder. We loved having them, and already have some exciting things planned for the Spring when they come back.

Grandma and Grandpa J came on a weekend when we already had some activities planned so they were "lucky" enough to get drug around town with us, sometimes early in the morning. As you know, Cool Dad has been an exercising machine(sometimes I want to hurt him when he mentions my lack of motivation for exercising, but I still love him)so in his excitement with his new found lifestyle he signed us all up for the 5k Turkey trot. We were all excited, especially Grandma and Grandpa who had to get up early and sit and watch us.

It turned out not to be as painful as I thought. I actually started out pretty strong, but had to slow down for my screaming child who didn't want to be there, and why do we have to run so early, you get the picture. About halfway through Bubba had to go to the bathroom so we had to pull off at a tree. Screaming child then shot by us on a dead run and we didn't see her again until the finish. Apparently it wasn't that she didn't want to run she just didn't want to run with me. Bubba ended up with a bronze medal in his age group and Pie missed a bronze by three seconds, and yes, she does blame me.





Don't worry, we finished our race day strong with a trip to I-Hop!! Cool Dad and I went straight home for a nap while Grandpa and Bubba watched sports and Grandma and Pie went to a movie.










Later that night we went to the Balloon Festival Nighttime Glow. the weather was perfect and the kids loved sharing it with Grandma and Grandpa. They also loved this balloon which was a new addition to the Balloon Festival. Spidey Pig.


Even though we miss living so close to Grandmas and Grandpas we love that they can come visit us. They are very special to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment