Saturday, December 17, 2011

Thanksgiving and my Love, Hate Relationship

I’m not gonna lie. I don’t love it. Thanksgiving, that is. It was proposed once that maybe it is because I am not thankful. I do not find this to be the case. I am quite thankful for all that I have been blessed with, and I am perfectly happy going around the table with everyone telling what they are thankful for, and then diving into that steaming hot pizza in front of us. I am not opposed to this at all.

What I am opposed to is the obvious unfairness in the grand scheme of Thanksgiving preparation. My mom used to get me up EARLY on Thanksgiving morning to start the pies, and it went downhill from there. Where were the male members of my house you are wondering? Parked on the couch with only one switch in scenery the whole day, to drag themselves to the table. It just seems like so much for work for people who can’t even take their eyes off the TV. They could be eating liver, and probably wouldn’t notice.

So what does a person who doesn't enjoy Thanksgiving do for Thanksgiving??

The whole shebang at my brother’s house. Turkey, potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, etc. I would now like to thank my brother and his wife for making the Thanksgiving memories of my youth come to life. It felt so right, almost like they had rehearsed it for my benefit. She would yell for him to come in the kitchen and help her, and he would yell from the couch that he couldn’t because he was watching football. Oh the memories.

Despite the years of therapy this is going to require for me, we still had a lovely time getting together. The entire family was there which hasn’t happened for five years or so. We took advantage by having a family picture taken. Our weekend included, shopping, basketball, football, movies, games, shooting, food and Magic Mountain, and some very happy kids, which I am THANKFUL for.

Next year…pizza at my house!

1 comment:

  1. I have a brother-in-law who hates Thanksgiving (different reasons than you)--but hates the whole day. I told him about my friend that isn't a big fan of the day either and it brought a smile to his usually glum face this Thanksgiving day. Now he doesn't feel so alone....So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete