Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Monsters and Pumpkins and Costumes...Oh My

I am fully willing to admit that I do NOT like messes. Many things are on the NO WAY list because, let's face it they are just plain messy. Gak-NO WAY; Silly Putty-NO WAY; mud pies-NO WAY; Easter Egg coloring-Only when I celebrate with my sister and she forces me; Pumpkin Carving-I would really rather not. However, the haunting season is upon us, and all Pie could talk about is how she wished her class this year would carve pumpkins and count the seeds again, because that was SO AWESOME. Poor Bubba has no recollection of ever carving a pumpkin. Based on this it is quite obvious we are bad parents.

Time to turn this boat around. (Sorry college girl, that it is too late for you. I admit there were MANY years where we just painted our pumpkins. Oh the years of therapy I am going to be paying for.)

To start the party off I cut black plastic bags apart, and lined the entire dining room floor to ceiling. Then we had a mini class on the do's and dont's of pumpkin carving, hand washing, and NOT shaking your hands while covered in goo. Once they signed their cleanliness contracts we were all set to begin.



A good time was had by most of the participants. You can see by Cool Dad's expression why he never really forced the no pumpkin carving ban.


Luckily Pie was a master at gutting the pumpkin and I didn't have to participate too much.



In addition to Monday's great carving activity, I am also busy planning Trunk or Treat, and sewing Bubba's costume. I know, what was I thinking. What can I say there were not any cute Knight costumes in the stores.

He thinks he might die before I finish it (I think I might die before I finish it), and every night he has been hovering over me checking my progress. It is true that most of my sewing has to happen after bedtime, and honestly, I should be sewing right now, not blogging. He is also very concerned about what Cool Dad and I will be for Halloween. I am going as a crazed housewife this year.

Cool Dad couldn't come up with a good costume. I mean what could really beat last year's costume when he wrote "book" on his "face".



Luckily Bubba has come to his rescue. He has made his dad a costume. We think it is pretty good. I just need to find Cool Dad a black shirt to go with his black pants and I can pin this awesome costume on him. Pretty clever, don't you think??

2 comments:

  1. You and I, we were destined to be friends. I HATE the pumpkin mess. HATE IT. In fact, I have been known to avoid the entire area during that particular FHE and return when it's time for clean up duty- it's so painful to watch pumpkin goo being flung across the room!
    I am the same thing every year for Halloween....an alien disguised up as a mom. My children no longer find it clever.
    Love Cool Dad's costume- Bubba's great! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1- the smile of Pie's face is perfect. Absolutely perfect.
    #2- you sew?? bravo. You really are a crazed housewife.
    #3- I have fond memories of my mom breaking out the markers and saying, "Let's decorate our pumpkins!" My children, on the other hand, will have none of that. Instead they fantasize about what they are carving for weeks. Luckily we crossed it off our to-do list yesterday. Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete