Tuesday, December 7, 2010

USS Midway

I know it is a little lame to be posting about Thanksgiving on December 7th, but you people know us, and realize our lameness so you shouldn't be surprised (Cool Dad would prefer we try to hide our lameness, but I told him it is useless).

We had a great Thanksgiving and we were fortunate enough to have my Dad and Step-mom join us from Nevada. We had a traditional dinner which actually will surprise a few people who know this is not my favorite meal, and I would be just as happy having pizza. The day was filled with lots of food, puzzles and naps. Not much football since our TV reception is not great, and believe it or not, I didn't even take a single picture.

On Friday we decided to take a day trip to San Diego to tour the USS Midway. If you remember this post we talked about how we wanted to tour the carrier. It was awesome. I loved it. Cool Dad is always surprised at the things I find fascinating, but it really was cool. Really people have you truly lived until you have sat in the pilot's seat of a jet fighter?



Most of the docents were men who have served on carriers a few of them had even served on the USS Midway. They had pilots giving talks on carrier landings and taking off. They also had a pilot in the pilot ready room who had some fascinating stories of his adventures.



There were quite a few planes and helicopters on board. Bubba was fascinated by all of them, and was actually disappointed they were not taking off and landing. This picture has "the island" in the background which is basically a control tower for aircraft, and also the bridge.

It took us just over four hours to tour the whole thing. Admission is a tad pricey (sorry to those of you who thought I was posting another free activity). Plan to go early in the day, it seemed to get busier in the afternoon (hour wait to get up to the island-we went right up).

It was a great day to spend with family, and learn a little something too about the sacrifices that men and women make for our country each and every day. I am proud that my dad is a Veteran, and although he has trouble remembering things these days he still remembers that he served his country in the Air Force. The day will be a great memory for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment