Sunday, August 29, 2010

Book Club

Do you ever notice after the fact that you fell for something hook line and sinker, but while it was happening you didn't have a clue? Welcome to my world.

Pie and I like to read each evening. We each have a book, and we enjoy spending that time together, but in our own worlds. All summer long we read for an hour after Bubba went to bed. Now that she goes to bed a little earlier we don't get as much time, but we still look forward to "girls reading time" every night. A few nights ago the conversation went a little something like this.

Pie, "Mom, do you miss your book club? You know, the one with Mary Ann?"

Me, "Yes, I really miss it. It was a lot of fun."

Pie, "What do you do in a book club?"

Me, "Well, you go and eat some yummy treats and then you talk about a book that everyone has read."

Pie, "So, everyone reads the same book, and you just talk. You don't sit there and read together."

Me, "No, you have to have the book read when you get there so you can discuss it, and see what everybody thinks about the book."

This is where I should have clued in that I was in trouble.

Pie, "Mom, do you think we could have a book club?"

What do you say to that?? No, because I am the worst Mom ever?

Me, "Sure, that sounds like fun" How about on Sunday night we eat some treats and talk about your book."

So, while she was at school on Friday I read Magic Tree House #15: Viking Ships at Sunrise.

So, if anyone wants to join us, we will be eating treats and discussing this book on this fine evening...anyone...anyone? Come on, there must be at least one person out there dying to read this book.

Fine, I will eat all the treats myself.

4 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing ever. i wish we were nearby so we could read and have treats with you. We even have that book! We are actually only a couple of hours away now. How hot is it at your house again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that Pie of yours is somekinda wonderful. Book club misses you. I miss you. I miss you in our book club. I may or may not have teared up while reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Anne! Amen!!
    You know you and Pie could always take turns picking the book...you could even keep up with us. This months book was a mere 400 some odd pages. I think Pie might rethink book club and you are off the hook still looking like the fabulous mother that you are. :o)
    Your welcome.
    Don't you just miss me and my fine ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful idea.I know there were some I read with my surly youth that I remember vividly to this day, like Bridge to Terabithia, Bud not Buddy... maybe the "book club" book could be something you choose together.

    ReplyDelete